Windows 10 technical preview for mobiles is already available and you can easily install it on compatible Windows 10 compatible smartphones. The technical preview is meant for testing purposes and is still in beta phase so you might experience many issues and bugs in it. If you are not happy with the Windows 10 technical preview and want to try a stable build for your Windows Phone you can downgrade from Windows 10 device to Windows Phone 8.1 as this is the only stable build available for Windows Phones right now. If you want to rollback to Windows Phone 8.1 it is very easy and with a couple of things you can easily rollback to Windows Phone 8.1.
Before we tell you how you can rollback to Windows Phone 8.1 you have to make sure you are having all the pre requisites with you.
- You need a computer, your mobile phone which you want to downgrade, Windows Recovery tool and a USB Cable.
- Make sure USB drivers of your Lumia smartphone are installed on your computer.
- Create backup of your device before you start the downgrading process as all your data will get deleted.
Once you are having all the pre requisites follow the guide shared below to downgrade your device to Windows Phone 8.1.
- First of all you need to download and install Windows Phone recovery tool on your computer. You can download and install it on your computer using this link.
- Once you have installed the Windows Phone recovery tool, connect it with your PC using a USB cable. Your phone should automatically get detected by your computer however if it fails to get detected, remove your device from your computer and press My phone was not detected Follow the instructions which you see on your screen.
- Once your phone is detected, tap on your phone model present on your screen.
- On the next screen you will see the software version. Tap on reinstall button present at the bottom.
- You will see a disclaimer which will tell you to backup your phone. If you have not already created backup you can create it now.
- The Recovery tool will now download and install the firmware on your smartphone. The downloading time will depend on your internet connection as the size of the firmware is around 1.7 GB.
- Once firmware is downloaded and installed on your smartphone successfully you will see “Operation successfully completed”.
- You will see the startup screen. Enter your details and you are ready to rock Windows Phone 8.1 again on your Lumia device.
You have successfully downgraded from Windows 10 Technical Preview to Windows Phone 8.1. If you are having any issues while you were downgrading to Windows Phone 8.1 you can clear your doubts using the comments section below.