Saving battery is one of the difficult things which one has to do with the smartphones which are coming out these days. Windows smartphones come with big screens, powerful hardware and camera lenses which eat a lot of battery. If you are having a charging socket next to you, you can charge your device however if you are travelling it can be a problem for you. You can easily save battery on Windows Phone by following some easy tips. Have a look at some tips shared by us below which will help you to save battery on Windows Phone. The tips which we will share in this post are tested on Windows Phone 8.1. If you are using Windows Phone 8 some tips might not work.
Battery Saver app
The best option which you are having to save battery on Windows Phone is using a Battery Saver app. There are a lot of battery saver apps available in Windows Phone store for Windows smartphones. You can try the official Battery Saver app by Microsoft, which will disable all the non-essential features running on your Windows Phone and will help you in saving battery with just a few taps. You can also limit the background usage to save power. The app also allows you to view the battery power consumed by particular app which will help you in deciding if you want to use that app or not.
Disabling non-essential features
If your main concern if saving the battery on your Windows Phone you can use the battery saver app to disable all the non-essential features. With non-essential features disabled your Windows smartphone won’t be able to:-
- Automatically receive e-mail and calendar updates. You can manually sync the calendar and e-mails.
- Update some live tiles. The tiles which are using push notifications to get the updates you won’t receive them in the battery saver mode. All the apps which push notifications won’t push the notifications if your Windows Phone is in Battery Saver mode.
If you have disabled the non-essential features you will still be able to make and receive phone calls, send and receive text messages and browse the internet.
Changing Battery Saving Settings
You can easily change the battery saving settings of the Battery saver app.
- Open Battery saver on your Windows Phone 8.1 by opening the app list and then selecting Battery Saver. If you are using Windows Phone 8 you can go to Settings > Battery Saver.
- Once you are in Settings of the Battery saver you can:-
- Tap on Off option if you want to disable Battery Saver.
- If you want Battery Saver to automatically enable when the charge drops to 20% you can tap on when battery is under 20% option.
- If you want to use the battery saver feature at all times you can tap on Always (limits functionality). Most of the features will be disabled on your Windows Phone when you select this option.
- If you want the battery saver app to conserve power immediately & return to normal battery usage the next time you charge your device tap on Now until next charge.
Limiting background usage
There might be some apps present in your Windows Phone which might be draining a lot of battery even if you are not using them. This feature is known as background usage as you are not running them but they are still running in the background. You can select the apps which you want to run in the background using battery saver, however this feature is only available with Windows Phone 8.1
- Open the app list on your Windows Phone and then go to Battery Saver. Go to Usage option and you will see all the apps which are installed on your smartphone with the battery consumption of each app.
- Tap on any app and select Allow app to run in background.
Battery Saving Tips
Here are some battery saving tips which will help you to save battery on Windows Phone.
- If you reduce the time before the screen of your phone turns off you will be able to save a lot of battery.
- Lowering the brightness on your Windows Phone will help you in saving a lot of battery. Open the app list and then go to Settings > Brightness. Disable Automatic Adjust and choose the brightness level you want to use.
- You can always use dark background theme. To use a dark background theme you can open the app list on your Windows Phone and go to Settings > Theme > Background and then select Dark
- Turning the screen off while you are making calls will help you in saving a lot of battery. If you are on Bluetooth or speaker phone you can simply press the Power button which will turn off the screen.
- After you have took a picture you can turn off the viewfinder. Press the back button or you can simply press the Power button which will put your Windows smartphone on sleep.
- If you are seeing sudden drop in battery level you can reboot your device as it might help in resolving the issue.
- Using headphones can save a lot of battery. Instead of speakerphone or Bluetooth you can use headphones for listening to music.
- If you are not connected to any Bluetooth device disable it as if it runs in the background it will lead to battery loss.
If you are following these tips you will be able to save battery on Windows Phone.